The GENERAL BOARD beg leave to report to the University as follows:
1. In their Report, dated 18 February 2004 (Reporter, 2003-04, p. 480), on the Directorship of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning, the General Board proposed a procedure that would enable them to recommend the establishment of a single-tenure Professorship, to be held concurrently with the Directorship, for a Director of the required academic standing. The recommendations of the Report were approved by Grace 3 of 17 March 2004.
2. An Advisory Committee consisting of Dr Kate Pretty (in the Chair), Professor Tony Badger, Professor John Barrow, Professor John Bell, Professor Fred Gray (University of Sussex), Sir Brian Heap, Professor Melveena McKendrick, and Professor Stella Parker (University of Nottingham) was appointed by the General Board to consider applications. The Board have approved this Committee's recommendation that Professor R. K. S. Taylor, Professor of Continuing Education and Director of Research, School of Continuing Education, University of Leeds, should be appointed to the Directorship of the Institute of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning with effect from 1 November 2004. On the advice of their Advisory Committee the Board have further agreed to recommend that a Professorship of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning should be established and assigned to the Institute of Continuing Education, for Professor Taylor for his tenure as Director.
3. The Board have ascertained that Professor Taylor is willing to accept appointment to these offices. The Board accordingly propose that a Professorship be established, as specified above, for the person named.
4. The General Board recommend:
I. (a) That a Professorship of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning be established in the University with effect from 1 November 2004, placed in Schedule B of the Statutes, and assigned to the Institute of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning.
(b) That Professor Richard Kenneth Stanley Taylor be appointed to the Professorship.
II. That regulations for the Professorship be approved, as set out in the Schedule to this Report.
|14 July 2004||ALISON RICHARD, Vice-Chancellor||N. O. A. BULLOCK||D. W. B. MACDONALD|
|JOHN BELL||H. A. CHASE||MELVEENA McKENDRICK|
|TOM BLUNDELL||M. J. DAUNTON||S. J. YOUNG|
|WILLIAM BROWN||PETER LANDSHOFF|
Professorship of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning. 2004. Institute of Continuing Education
1. The Professorship of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning shall be established for a single tenure with effect from 1 November 2004.
2. The Professor shall also hold the office of Director of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning during his tenure, and shall vacate the Professorship if he ceases to hold the latter office.