Childcare Office

Useful Contacts Directory

This section lists contact details of organisations and information sources that might be useful to students with children.

The Cambridge area code is 01223. You do not need to dial this if calling from the Cambridge area — just dial the 6 digit personal phone number. If you are calling from outside the UK, add 44 to the start of the number and take away the 0 of the area code. For example, to contact the University's Childcare Information Service from outside the UK, dial 44 1223 332249.

University network numbers (free from a network phone inside the University) are written with the first number in brackets e.g. (3)3xxxx, (7)4xxxx, (7)6xxxx. If you are calling from a Cambridge University network phone you only need to dial the last 5 digits of the number listed. If calling from a phone that is not networked, you need to include the digit in brackets when dialling.

University Contacts (A–Z)

Access to Learning Funds (formerly Hardship Funds)

For details on how to apply to the Access to Learning Fund, which is for Home students, see your College Tutor or tutorial office, or consult the above website.

Accommodation Service

For information/help with finding accommodation.

Student Advice Service

The Cambridge University's Student Advice Service offers free, confidential and independent support to all Cambridge University students.

Cambridge Universities' Holiday Playscheme

Holiday playscheme for school-age children, run by the University and ARU. Subsidised places available to students.

Central Childcare Bursary Scheme

Bursaries to help EU and Overseas students with childcare costs.

Childcare Information Service

For information on anything relating to childcare, including financial help and local authority provision.

Counselling Service

The University has its own counselling service for all students in the University. Completely confidential.

CUSU (Cambridge University Students' Union)

Information, support, advice and representation on any matter — open to all Cambridge students.

Dental Service

University Dental Service

GU (Graduate Union)

Information, support, advice and representation on any matter for all graduate, mature and 4th year students.

International Student Team

Help and advice for students from overseas, including help with visas and working in the UK.

Joint Committee on Childcare for Students

This is a joint committee of the University and Colleges. It provides advice to the University and Colleges on matters relating to childcare for students, contributes to the formulation and development of policy, raises funds for student childcare facilities and support, and administers funds allocated for these purposes.

Secretary, Joint Committee on Childcare for Students,
21 Trumpington Street,
Cambridge, CB2 1QA

Newcomers and Visiting Scholars

For anyone who is in Cambridge from abroad doing a post-doc, sabbatical year etc., who is not an official student of the University. They run a variety of activities during term-time including things for partners and children, such as a coffee morning at the University Centre.

Student Community Action (SCA)

Organises student volunteers for various projects including big siblings and English tutoring.

University Centre

Social centre for students. Also hosts the Graduate Union's Parent and Toddler group from 10.00am–12.30pm every Friday in and out of term time.

University Nursery at West Cambridge

University Nursery with places ring-fenced for University students.

Cambridge City Contacts

Cambridgeshire County Council

Cambridgeshire Libraries
For details on local branches, free story and rhyming sessions and Bookstart, a programme offering free book packs for children.
Children with Special Educational Needs
For details of extra help available.
School Admissions
For information on local schools, term dates, enrolment and registration.

Cambridge City Council

Housing Services
Information and advice on renting locally as well as Housing and Council Tax benefits
Children and Young People's Participation Service (ChYpPS)
Offers a range of services to ensure all children have access to play provision, which includes organising free activities across the city over school holiday periods.
Local sports
Sports facilities and classes in the area.

Local Childcare and Family Resources

Cambridge Freecycle Network

Recycle and pick up free items, including things for children.

Search engine for details of playgroups, toy libraries and other clubs and facilities in the area.

Cambridge Gumtree

Classified adverts including babysitting and items for sale.

Cambridge Home Education

A network of parents/carers who are home educating their children rather than sending them to school. They hold regular meetings, organise activities for parents and children and send out newsletters to members.

Cambridge National Childbirth Trust

Provides information and support on all aspects of pregnancy, birth and early years parenting. This local branch organises events and social activities.

Cambridgeshire Children's Centres

Details of all the local SureStart Children's Centre's in the area, offering support, groups and often childcare facilities for families with children aged 0-5 years.

Cambridge Women's Resources Centre

Providing free training, education and support to women. Has an on-site creche.

Families Information Service

The best resource for registered childcare options in Cambridgeshire.


For parents who need help, friendship, advice or support during those early years when children are young.

Local Finance and Benefits Assistance

Jobcentre Plus

75 Chesterton Road
Chesterton, CB4 3BQ
0845 604 3719

Cambridge Citizens' Advice Bureau

For information and advice on anything from housing to consumer rights to employment.

National Contacts

Childcare, Schools and Parenting Services

Best Bear Childcare

Web-based service offering childcare information for parents, including the opportunity to place adverts for child carers.

Dad Info

Range of information aimed at father and fathers-to-be.

Daycare Trust

National childcare charity. The website contains excellent childcare information.

Emergency Childcare

An option if your regular childcare is unavailable or for care on a one-off or temporary basis.


Supports and campaigns on behalf of lone parent families.

National Childbirth Trust

Provides information and support on all aspects of pregnancy, birth and early years parenting.

Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years (PACEY)

This provides information for parents, registered childminders and local authority workers about childminding and how to become a childminder.

National Day Nurseries Association (NDNA)

As above, this provides information on day nurseries, not vacancies.


The Government's Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills. Responsible for inspecting schools and childcare facilities.

Parents in Touch

Detailed information on stages of schooling, education and child development.


Doctors and dental surgery listings

See NHS Choices.

Healthy Start

Government scheme to encourage healthy eating.

NHS Direct

For non-emergency health advice and information.

Your Pregnancy and baby guide

NHS guide to having a baby.

National Finance and Benefits Assistance

Child Support Agency

Department for Education

Responsible for education and children's services.


Government website with information on public services, job vacancies in the local area and applying for benefits.

HM Revenue and Customs

Overseas child benefit, tax credits, National Insurance and tax payments.

Paying for Childcare

Daycare Trust site which helps parents work out benefits and financial help they might be entitled to. Includes a section specifically for student parents.

Entitled To

Useful benefits and tax credits free online calculator.


UK Border Agency

For immigration enquiries.

Equality and Human Rights Commission

For advice on parental rights and sex discrimination.