Open Cambridge

EU undergraduate

As an EU student studying at the University of Cambridge, you could qualify for a bursary of up to £3,500 each year to help you finance your time as a student in Cambridge.

In 16-17 there is a new procedure to apply for the Cambridge Bursary.

You will be assessed by the Student Loans Company when you apply for a tuition fee loan through Student Finance England and if you are eligible for a bursary and start your course at Cambridge you will be paid directly in to your bank account by the Student Loans Company.

This is the same for new and continuing students in 16-17.

Are you eligible?

To be eligible for a Cambridge European Bursary, you must meet a number of eligibility criteria. If you can answer 'yes' to the following questions, it is likely that you will be eligible for a Cambridge European Bursary.

  • Will this be your first full-time undergraduate degree?
  • Is the income of the family with which you live the equivalent of £42,620 per year or less?
  • Can you demonstrate that you are eligible to apply to Student Finance England for financial assistance to help with the cost of your tuition fees?

Remember that although we may offer you a bursary based on these criteria, the award will only be confirmed if you  also in due course meet all the conditions of your offer to study at the University of Cambridge. 

How much?

The bursary amount that you are awarded will vary depending on several factors:

1) Your level of household income.

The Cambridge European Bursary Scheme is designed to support students from households with an income of less than £42,620.

The maximum bursary of £3,500 is available only to students who can show that their household income is less than the equivalent of £25,000 per year or less. If your household income is between £25,001 and £42,620 you will qualify for a lower level of bursary, based on a sliding scale. We define 'household income' as the joint pre-tax income of students' parents (or those adults who have taken responsibility for providing financial support) during the last calendar year. You will need to get these figures independently verified for the purposes of the bursary application.

You should not apply for a Cambridge European Bursary if your family income exceeds the equivalent of £42,620 per year.

2) Whether or not you are eligible to apply for financial assistance to cover your tuition fees.

You must apply to Student Finance England for a loan to cover your tuition fees (you do not need to accept the loan).

How do I apply?

Apply for a tuition fee loan through Student Finance England here. Applications will be open in Spring 2016.

You cannot apply online for a tuition fee loan, you must download and complete the forms then return them as instructed on the forms.

The Student Loans Company will then send you forms to complete an income assessment for your household. Please look out for these arriving. You must complete these forms and return them along with any evidence they request.

Your household income will then be assessed and if you meet the eligibility criteria and your College approves the bursary you'll be notified.

Please note: This process is the same for both new and continuing EU students.

New EU students will need to set up as UK bank account as soon as possible so that the Student Loans Company can make the bursary payments. You may only be able to do this after you have arrived in the UK but as soon as you have set up an account, you must send your bank details to SLC straight away otherwise payments will be delayed.

Need to know…

Please note the scheme is not a hardship fund for current undergraduate students who are not presently receiving a bursary. College Tutors will be able to advise of the existence of appropriate hardship funds upon request. We will, in exceptional circumstances, consider an application when there has been a significant change in financial circumstances that could not have been foreseen at the time of admission but which will remain in force for the duration of the student's course at Cambridge. Please contact your College about making an application in this case.