Funding Your Studies
The deadlines have now passed for applications to the University's major funding schemes for entry in 2013/14. If you wish to be considered for funding and have not already applied, you should consider entry in 2014/15.
Please check the funding search, or the departmental and college websites directly for any specific schemes that may still be open.
- On this page
The University holds two main funding rounds for all graduate applicants with deadlines in December and January for admittance the following academic year.
These two funding rounds require completion of section B on the GRADSAF (application form) and co-ordinate funding from different sources, which in brief are as follows.
- International Applicants (incl some EU) - Application Deadline: December
- The Cambridge Trusts , who adminster a wide variety of schemes and fund the Cambridge International Scholarship Scheme (CISS)
- Gates Cambridge (US applicants must apply in October; EU also considered)
- Gates Cambridge (though EU applicants must apply in December as above)
- Cambridge Home and European Scholarship Scheme (CHESS)
- UK Research Councils these are administered by departments (deadlines may vary, check with the department)
Some schemes administered by the Cambridge Trusts may also require additional application forms.
For further information on these schemes, FAQ's on funding, the funding timetable, and specific deadline dates please see the Student Registry Funding pages
In addition to the above schemes, funding is also available from departments, colleges and independent organisations.
CamFunds is a database of student funding that is administered by offices, departments, faculties, institutions, NUI's or colleges of the University of Cambridge.
The "Prospects" website provides information on additional graduate funding administered outside of the University.
- Apply Early
We strongly recommend that students begin researching their funding opportunities at least a year in advance of the proposed start date of their course.
- Don't wait until you get here
You will not be admitted to the University without a secure package of funding in place before you begin your studies, and you should not expect to be able to find funding once you have started your course.
- Apply to several different competitions
Applicants are strongly advised to apply for all sources of funding for which they might be eligible, both internal and external to the University. This is the case even for those who are applying for a departmental award or funded place - should the department not be able to offer an award, applicants may have missed out on the opportunity to be considered for various other sources of funding if they have not submitted their applications by the required deadlines.
For more information on the key funding deadlines, please see 'Application and Funding deadlines'.