|Previous page||Table of Contents||Next page|
The Registrary has received, for submission to the Regent House under the provisions of Statute A, VIII, 7, the following Grace initiated by 109 members of the Regent House proposing an amendment to the regulations for nomination of members of the Council in class (e) (external members). The Council has agreed to submit this Grace for approval by ballot (see the Council's Notice, p. 433).
That Regulations 2-4 of the NOMINATION OF MEMBERS OF THE COUNCIL IN CLASS (E) (EXTERNAL MEMBERS) on p. 117 of Statutes and Ordinances be renumbered 8-10 and that Regulation 1 be replaced by the following regulations:
1. The Council shall discharge its duty of making nominations for appointment by Grace of members of the Council in class (e) on the recommendation of a Nominating Committee which shall consist of:
|(a)||a member appointed by the Council on the nomination of the Proctors and Deputy Proctors either (i) from among those current members of the Council in class (e) or (ii) from among former members of the Council in class (e);|
|(c)||two members elected by the Regent House from among those who at the time of election are current members of Council in classes (a), (b), and (c);|
|(d)||four members of the Senate elected by the Regent House.|
2. The member in class (a) shall be appointed to serve for two years starting from 1 October in a year when the calendar year is odd, and shall be in the chair. No member of the Council in class (e) shall serve on the Nominating Committee when his/her own reappointment to the Council is being considered.
3. An election of one member in class (c) and two members in class (d) of the Nominating Committee shall be held during Full Easter Term when the calendar year is odd. Members in classes (c) and (d) shall be elected to serve for four years from 1 October next following the aforementioned election. The election shall be conducted in accordance with Regulations 1-5 and 14 of the regulations for the election of members of the Council. If at any election the total number of vacancies is not filled, the Vice-Chancellor shall arrange a further election to fill such vacancies as are unfilled.
4. No person may be a member of the Nominating Committee in class (d) who is a member of the Council, or who holds the University office of Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Registrary, or Director or Deputy Director in the University Offices.
5. If a member in class (d) of the Nominating Committee, or any person nominated for election as a member in that class, becomes a member of Council, or is appointed to any of the offices in Regulation 4, or ceases to be a member of the Senate, that member's seat shall thereupon become vacant, or the nomination shall thereupon become invalid, as the case may be.
6. The provisions of Statute K, 6(b) shall apply to the initial appointment of a member in class (a) and to the filling of a casual vacancy in class (a), save that no Ordinance may be made permitting the filling of a casual vacancy by co-option. The provisions of Statute A, IV, 6 regarding the filling of casual vacancies in the membership of the Council shall apply to the initial elections of members in classes (c) and (d) and to the filling of casual vacancies in classes (c) and (d).
7. A retiring member of the Nominating Committee in classes (a), (c), or (d) who has served for four or more consecutive years shall not be eligible to serve again as a member of the Nominating Committee in classes (a), (c) or (d) until one year has elapsed after the end of his or her previous period of service.
This Grace has been initiated by the following members of the Regent House:
|ANDREW C. AITCHISON||IAN T. DRUMMOND||A. ISERLES||H. OSBORN|
|JIM AJIOKA||D. W. DUNNE||M. ISLAM||S. PAGE|
|ANTON ALTAPARMAKOV||KENNETH EAMES||S. ISON||J. PAPALOIZOU|
|R. J. ANDERSON||K. EDGCOMBE||M. A. JOHNSON||T. J. PEDLEY|
|JEAN M. BACON||PAUL A. W. EDWARDS||BRIAN D. JONES||OLIVER RACKHAM|
|JOHN BARROW||STEPHEN EGLEN||ADRIAN KENT||J. RALLISON|
|C. M. BATE||ROBIN FAIRBAIRNS||ERIC B. KEVERNE||J. D. RAY|
|A. R. BERESFORD||F. A. N. FINCH||FRANK H. KING||ALEXANDER REGIER|
|A. BLACKWELL||RICHARD C. FISHER||J. KING||HUGH REYBURN|
|M. BOOTH||NORMAN A. FLECK||T. W. KöRNER||MARTIN RICHARDS|
|EDWARD BRAMBLEY||C. F. FORSYTH||M. KUHN||PETER ROBINSON|
|IAN BRIERLY||GILLIAN FRASER||M. LEVITT||R. RODD|
|PIETE BROOKS||J. L. GLUZA||H. LILLEHAMMER||R. E. ROWTHORN|
|CLIVE R. BROWN||JULIA GOG||J. M. LINE||HELEN VARLEY SARGAN|
|RACHEL CAMINA||D. J. GOODE||M. E. MCINTYRE||DAVID L. SMITH|
|T. K. CARNE||MICHAEL J. C. GORDON||N. M. MACLAREN||N. S. SMITH|
|DAVID J. CHIVERS||IAN GRANT||JANE MCLARTY||M. SONENSCHER|
|M. R. CLARK||JANE GREATOREX||LORNA MCNEUR||C. SPEED|
|N. COLEMAN||T. G. GRIFFIN||GARETH MARLOW||MARK SPIVACK|
|A. COOKE||C. HADLEY||G. D. MOGGRIDGE||ORSOLA RATH SPIVACK|
|ANN COPESTAKE||STEVEN HAND||KEN MOODY||JOHN M. STEWART|
|STEPHEN J. COWLEY||R. HARLE||S. W. MOORE||PATRICIA STEWART|
|STUART DALZIEL||BEN HARRIS||J. S. MORRILL||R. J. STIBBS|
|JONATHAN DAWES||RONALD S. HAYNES||R. D. MULLINS||G. TITMUS|
|J. L. DAWSON||C. J. HEATON||A. MYCROFT||J. WARBRICK|
|D. R. DE LACEY||FAY HIDER||CHRISTINE NORTHEAST||J. R. WILLIS|
|T. DE MULDER||E. J. HINCH||BRIAN OMOTANI||J. B. YOUNG|
|R. J. DOWLING|
|Previous page||Table of Contents||Next page|
Cambridge University Reporter 23 January 2008
Copyright © 2011 The Chancellor, Masters and Scholars of the University of Cambridge.