< Previous page ^ Table of Contents Next page >

Girton College


Girton College offers Graduate Research Scholarships, Studentships and Bursaries to qualified candidates from the UK or overseas from 1 October 2006, to be elected in June 2006. One Scholarship normally has the value of a British Academy maintenance grant, plus approved University and College fees (at home students' level only). The value of all the Scholarships, Studentships and Bursaries will be determined in the light of the successful candidate's income from other sources. The College may in certain circumstances split a Scholarship between two or more students.


The Irene Hallinan Scholarship is worth between £3,000 and £6,000. It is awarded for one year and is open to any subject.


The Ida and Isidore Cohen Research Scholarship is open to students working in Modern Hebrew Studies, and is worth between £3,000 and £5,000. It is awarded for one year but may be renewed.


The Sidney and Marguerite Cody Studentship is for a period of travel and study in continental Europe of up to twelve months and normally of not less than six months. This Studentship has a value of up to £3,000 and is open to graduate members of any faculty except English who have completed less than nine terms in residence.


Doris Woodall Studentships of between £750 and £5,000 are normally awarded for one year only for research in economics or an allied subject.


This is a postgraduate research support scholarship open to students who are already members of the College, namely undergraduates coming into M.Phil. status or current MPhil students who are going on to a Ph.D. Two individual awards of £1,000 each will be made, and they will normally be held in addition to a studentship or any other funding for fees and maintenance.


A number of Overseas Bursaries, worth from £200 to £1,000 a year, are also available for applicants from non-EU countries. These are normally awarded for two years in the first instance for candidates for the Ph.D. Degree, and may be renewed for a third year on the basis of the first two years research. All recipients of College Overseas Bursaries will be expected to apply (if eligible) for an Overseas Research Studentship (ORS) and for any other awards open to them. Overseas students who are candidates for the Ph.D. Degree are also eligible to apply for the studentships listed above.

All of these awards are open to students who have graduated or will have graduated before 1 October 2005. A first-class degree is almost always required and election will be conditional on the candidate being granted Graduate Student status by the University of Cambridge. The holder must become a member of the College and either be a candidate for the Ph.D. Degree, or be enrolled on a course leading to the Ph.D. Degree. The awards will be for one year, and are normally renewable for one further year.

Application forms may be obtained from the Graduate Secretary, Wolfson Court (Girton College), Clarkson Road, Cambridge, CB3 0EH (e-mail: jj216@cam.ac.uk) and http://www.girton.cam.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/application.pdf and must be completed and returned by 31 March 2006 for the following October.

< Previous page ^ Table of Contents Next page >

Cambridge University Reporter 11 November 2005
Copyright © 2011 The Chancellor, Masters and Scholars of the University of Cambridge.