Managing sponsored research projects
The Principal Investigator (PI) is responsible for the overall management of the
research project and the Head of Department provides the systems and processes
to underpin the work.
However, the Research Operations Office's Grants Services Teams provide a number of services to researchers and
administrators as well as practical advice and guidance.
The main award management activities and services
that we provide to grant holders are:
- activating an award in the University Finance System (UFS)
- advice and guidance on grant management, sponsors’ Terms and Conditions, liaison with
- reconciliation of the funds throughout the life of the award
- ensuring that invoices, reports and financial statements are processed in a timely manner within the sponsor’s Terms and Conditions
- liaison with the Departmental Administrator (DA) and PI regarding eligible expenditure and virement (re-allocation) of funds between budget headings
- ensuring that amendments to an award are updated on the UFS
- closing an award and reconciling income and expenditure at the end of the research project, and final reporting
- reconciling invoicing and overdue payments
- providing help and advice on any awards management issues
- arranging the transferring of awards
- arranging for awards to be audited according to audit requirements
We also provide training to cover aspects of the UFS Grants Module and Grants Management.
Details of the University's Foreign Exchange Policy for Research Income can be found here:
Need further information?
Please contact the Administrator in your School Team.