International Student Team
Visas for your family members
From July 2011, the UKBA does not allow new students to bring dependants to the UK under Tier 4 unless:
- you are studying at post-graduate level at NQF level 7 or above (i.e. Doctorate and Masters levels) where the course is at least 12 months long; or
- you are a new government-sponsored student following a course which lasts longer than six months.
This means family members of students on the following Cambridge courses will not be able to apply for leave as Tier 4 dependants:
- all undergraduate programmes at NQF Level 6;
- graduate programmes lasting less than 12 months (e.g. PGCE, many MPhil programmes and the Diploma in Economics) - see the graduate fees and funding webpages for details of course lengths (check the grey column in the appropriate document);
- certificates (e.g. Certificate in Theology for Ministry - NQF4)
Further details and advice on bringing your family:
- UKCISA: 'Can I bring my family with me to the UK?'
- UKBA: Adult Students - Tier 4 (General) 'Can your bring your family?'
The UKBA has rules for babies born in the UK and the provisions for family members of students who have recently been studying in the UK. Current information is available: