Information for managers and departments
Benefits and support for Departments
CareerStart@cam provides targeted support for this specific group as they begin their role in to the workplace, often after leaving school or FE with little or no work experience. The University is committed to providing focussed support to employees in this group, and their supervisors and Departments more broadly.
- Departments gain from the additional support for individuals to develop their skills, knowledge and experience in the workplace
- Support is also available for managers with limited experience of working with and supporting employees who are new in to the workplace
- The programme can support succession planning, ensuring we have employees with the right skills for the future and helping to "grow our own"
- It can give support to departments in difficult-to-recruit areas by providing opportunities to employ trainees and support their development on-the-job
- By giving additional support and the opportunities for meeting others at similar career stage, it can make the ‘first job’ a less daunting experience and consequently help them to settle in and become productive more quickly
- Review meetings and support can be tailored to meet the needs of the individual, their manager and their department.
More broadly the programme helps to provide opportunities for employment with support for local young people who are under particular pressure in the current climate.