Senior Academic Promotions CV Scheme
Aim of the Scheme: To encourage and support more female academics to apply for promotion within the University, with the aim of addressing the under-representation of women academics in senior positions.
The Senior Academic Promotions (SAP) CV Scheme (formerly the WiSETI CV mentoring scheme) brings together Lecturers, Senior Lecturers and Readers who are thinking of applying for promotion, with senior academics who have extensive experience of the University's Senior Academic Promotions procedures. The process creates an opportunity to have an experienced academic review their CV and promotion paperwork before it is submitted.
Initially only available to STEMM (Science, Technology, Engineering Maths and Medicine) disciplines, the Scheme has been expanded to include all subjects. Although the Scheme was developed primarily to support, and is specifically targeted towards, female academic staff, male academic staff are not excluded and any requests for mentoring from male academics are also welcome.
Mentors are senior academics (male or female) who have extensive experience of the University's Senior Academic Promotions procedures and are willing to:
- Review the mentee's CV and/or promotions paperwork.
- Provide constructive feedback based on the mentor's experience of the SAP process.
- Keep all exchanges confidential.
Mentees are Lecturers, Senior Lecturers and Readers who are thinking of applying for promotion either in the next or subsequent rounds and are willing to:
- Be clear about anticipated personal outcomes from the mentoring relationship.
- Consider and review suggestions a mentor makes.
- As with the mentors, treat all exchanges as confidential.
- The scheme is advertised and mentees make initial contact with the E&D consultant who then matches mentees with appropriate mentors.
- The E&D consultant instigates contact between mentees and mentors. The exact nature of the mentoring relationship can vary, ranging from the provision of advice on CVs and suitability/timing for promotion applications, to specific guidance, insight and advice to strengthen the mentee's SAP submission. Mentoring conversations can be by email, phone or face to face.
- October SAP submission deadline.
- SAP CV Scheme is evaluated by a short survey and reported to the Gender Equality Group.
If you would like to find out more about this scheme or register your interest in participating please email the E&D Consultant, Lenna Cumberbatch at email@example.com