Educational and Student Policy
Local quality assurance
Primary responsibility for teaching provision rests with individual faculties and departments, each of which has developed its own culture and approach to teaching. Local quality assurance is set within a flexible framework provided by the General Board; this ensures that policies and practices are fit for purpose and relate directly to the academic discipline concerned.
Decisions on curriculum, teaching methods and forms of assessment essentially rest with those directly responsible for the course. It is fundamental to the University's approach to teaching quality assurance that this local determination of provision carries with it significant delegated responsibility for assuring quality.
This section describes the General Board's expectations of the management of teaching and learning at faculty and departmental level:
- strategic planning of learning and teaching
- coordination of University and College teaching
- reviewing learning, teaching and assessment activities
- Professional, Regulatory and Statutory Bodies (PSRBs)
- retention of examination data
- lifelong learning: awards for non-members of the University
The section about faculty/departmental quality assurance frameworks is also likely to be of interest.