This policy explains the cookies that may be set as a result of your visiting the University Offices' web site - URLs starting http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/. You will need to consult the appropriate information on other sites for information on their policies.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but within your web browser you can choose to accept or decline cookies for any web site. You can usually modify your browser settings to decline all cookies if you prefer, or accept or decline on a case-by-case basis. The Information Commissioner's Office Advice for Members of the Public tells you how to control cookies. Bear in mind that disabling cookies may prevent you from taking full advantage of websites.
- More information about cookies - http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
- Information Commissioner's Office Advice for Members of the Public - http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/online/cookies.aspx.
The cookies used on this site are there to:
- authenticate you for accessing restricted content (your Raven authentication)
- measure how you use the website (using Google Analytics) so we can improve it.
- allow leaving comments
- improve user experience - YouTube embeded videos.
- allow social bookmarking - AddThis sociall bookmarking.
This site runs Google Analytics, which uses four cookies for tracking visitors to the site.
- These cookies store information about what time the current visit occurred, whether the visitor has been to the site before, and what site referred the visitor to the web page.
- No data specific to any identifiable user is retained, and we do not share our data with any other Google services.
- With the values gained from these cookies Google Analytics can interpret journeys through our website content, give us information about how people use our site and so present an opportunity to improve it.
- Due to shortcomings in Google Analytics the cookies for www.cam.ac.uk are returned to any web site in .cam.ac.uk. We believe that the Google Analytics code on these other sites will ignore these extra cookies.
- Google Analytics information about privacy and cookies may be found at http://www.google.com/analytics/tos.html and https://developers.google.com/analytics/resources/concepts/gaConceptsCookies.
- As a user you may opt out of the process Google Analytics uses to collect traffic log data (should your web browser be compatible). Google provides a browser add-on that enables a user to opt out of receiving Google Analytics cookies - http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
This site uses the University's Raven authentication service if it needs to identify you to give you access to restricted content. This may lead to two cookies being set:
- One is set by and only returned to this server. It manages your authentication to this site. If you reject this cookie you will not be able to access restricted content on this site.
|Cookie name||Used by||Description||More information|
|Google Analytics||We use Google Analytics to see how people use our website. This helps us improve it. The data we have is anonymised.||Persistent for 2 years
Persistent for 30 minutes
Current browsing session
Persistent for 6 months
|Ucam-WLS-Session||raven.cam.ac.uk||Authentication||Duration: current browsing session|
|Ucam-WebAuth-Session||www.cam.ac.uk||Authentication||Duration:Current browsing session|
|X-Mapping-xxxxxx||www.admin.cam.ac.uk||32-character string. Used to send the same user's request to the same server where possible for the duration of their session.||Duration: current browsing session|
Addthis social bookmarking_atuvc
Links to other websites
Access to personal data
For the purpose of the UK Data Protection Act 1998, the 'Data Controller' for the processing of data collected by this site is the University of Cambridge, and the point of contact for subject access requests is the University Data Protection Officer (The Old Schools, Trinity Lane, Cambridge CB2 1TN, tel. 01223 332320, fax 01223 332332 E-mail: email@example.com).
The University is also Data Controller in respect of any personal data served as content by this site.
How to disable cookies
Your web browser will have an option you select which will block cookies. Below are links to popular web browsers, and how to block cookies using them.